Provided at this site is a basic lesson plan that encourages students to collect data and inquire about inherited traits. There is also a 3 pt. rubric to assess understanding and mastery of the skill. You will find a few links to other websites for enrichment. This resource provides a lesson that includes data collection and inquiry. Students will collect data from family member and draw conclusions about inherited traits. The result is that students will understand that physical traits can come from family members.
- GLE 0207.4.2
- Realize that parents pass along physical characteristics to their offspring.
- GLE 0307.4.2
- Recognize common human characteristics that are transmitted from parents to offspring.
- GLE 0507.4.2
- Recognize that some characteristics are inherited while others result from interactions with the environment.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
- define the terms "genes" and "heredity"
- identify learned and inherited behaviors
- describe and compare family traits and characteristics.
- Paper and pencils
- Computer with Internet access (optional)