Bird beak and feet adaptations
This link provides teachers with a wealth of information, lesson ideas, and printouts. The lessons can focus just on one adaptation or more than one. This website has alot of information, but it is easy to get distracted by the linked words in each section. Many of the printables are linked to the words within the description of the lesson. The links will take you to pages with more specific instructions. There are other bird beak activities, but this one includes the adaptation of the feet of the bird. It is a great way to enrich the activity.
- GLE 0207.5.1
- Investigate the relationship between an animals characteristics and the features of the environment where it lives.
- GLE 0307.5.1
- Explore the relationship between an organisms characteristics and its ability to survive in a particular environment.
- GLE 0407.5.1
- Analyze physical and behavioral adaptations that enable organisms to survive in their environment.
- GLE 0507.5.1
- Investigate physical characteristics associated with different groups of animals.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
To explore the relationship between a bird's beak and its ability to find food and survive in a given environment.
- The Science NetLinks lesson, Animal Adaptations can help extend the ideas in this lesson by expanding students’ knowledge of animal features and behaviors that can help or hinder their survival in a particular habitat.
- All About Birds is the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology site that provides a wealth of information about birds.
- Build a Bird Kit
- Plastic cups
- Glass marbles
- Graph paper