- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- GLE 0701.1.1
- Demonstrate control of Standard English through grammar usage, and mechanics (punctuation, capitalization, and spelling).
- GLE 0801.1.2
- Employ a variety of strategies and resources to determine the definition,
pronunciation, and usage of words and phrases.
- GLE 0801.5.1
- Use logic to make inferences and draw conclusions in a variety of oral and
- SPI 0701.1.16
- Identify correctly and incorrectly spelled words in context.
- SPI 0701.1.3
- Identify the correct use of adjectives (i.e., common/proper,
comparative/superlative, adjective clauses) and adverbs (i.e., comparative and superlative
- SPI 0701.1.6
- Identify the correct use of commas (i.e., compound sentences, coordinating
conjunctions, introductory words, appositives, interrupters) within context.
- SPI 0701.1.7
- Identify within context a variety of appropriate sentence combining techniques
(i.e., comma with coordinating conjunction, use of semicolon, introductory...
- SPI 0701.5.5
- Select the correct word or phrase to complete an analogy, using synonyms,
antonyms, homonyms, categories, subcategories, whole/part, functions, and verb forms.
- SPI 0701.8.10
- Identify and analyze figurative language (i.e., hyperbole, simile, metaphor,
personification, pun) within context.
- SPI 0801.1.15
- Select the appropriate use of underlining/italicizing with titles, specific words, numbers, letters, and figures.
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage.
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling. When reading or writing, explain the function of...
- When reading, listening, writing, and speaking, explain the function of figurative language, word relationships, and connotation/denotation and use them ...
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.