Book Selection & K-12 Global Books for the Linguistically & Culturally Diverse Classroom
Selecting appropriate books involves looking at elements of diversity, quality, developmentally appropriateness, and kid appeal. This session will empower current and preservice teachers to select titles for classrooms through a critical literacy lens. Dr. Jeanne Gilliam Fain will highlight several new K-12 global book titles during this webinar from the Notable Books for a Global Society (NGBS) book list.
- Americas Award = http://www.claspprograms.org/pages/detail/37/Americas-Award
- Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of NCTE = https://alan-ya.org/
- Nashville Public Library = https://library.nashville.org
- Notable Books in a Global Society = http://www.clrsig.org/nbgs-lists.html
- Notable Children's Books in the Language Arts Award Books 2021 = https://www.childrensliteratureassembly.org/blog/2021-notable-childrens-books-in-the-language-arts-award-books
- Notable Social Studies Trade Books = https://www.socialstudies.org/notable-social-studies-trade-books
- Orbis Pictus Award = https://ncte.org/awards/orbis-pictus-award-nonfiction-for-children/
- Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12 = https://www.nsta.org/outstanding-science-trade-books-students-k-12
- Parnassus Books = https://www.parnassusbooks.net/
- The United States Board on Books for Young People = https://www.usbby.org/
- Worlds of Words = https://wowlit.org/
Evan Ortlieb, & Earl H. Cheek Jr. (2018). Addressing Diversity in Literacy Instruction: Vol. First edition. Emerald Publishing Limited. “Chapter in this book Utilizing a Rubric to Identify Diversity in Children’s Literature. (Arnold & Sableski)
Freire, P. (1970). Pedagogy of the Oppressed. New York: Continuum International Publishing.
Hapgood, K., & Fennes, H. (1997). Intercultural learning in the classroom: Crossing borders. London: Continuum International Publishing Group.
Murrell, P. (2006). Toward social justice in urban education: A model of collaborative cultural inquiry in urban schools. Equity & Excellence in Education, 39(1), p. 81-90.
Short, K. (2009). Critically Reading the Word and the World: Building Intercultural Understanding through Literature. Bookbird: A Journal of International Children’s Literature, 47(2), 1-10.
Short, K. (2010). Developing intercultural understanding through responses to global children’s literature. Paper presented to the Literacy Research Association (formerly National Reading Conference) annual conference, Ft. Worth, TX.
Tomlinson, C. & Lynch-Brown, C. (1989). Adventuring with international literature: One teacher’s experience. The New Advocate, 2(3), 169-178.
Vygotsky, L. (1978). Mind in Society. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
Wade, S., Thompson, A., & Watkins, W. (1994). The Role of Belief Systems in Authors’ and Readers’ Constructions of Text. In Garner, R. & Alexander, P. (Eds.), Beliefs About Text and Instruction with Text. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.