Grade 5 | Dividing Fractions
Grade 5 | Dividing Fractions
Standards & Objectives
- Convert among different-sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system (e.g., convert 5 cm to 0.05 m), and use these...
- Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit (1/2, 1/4, 1/8). Use operations on fractions for this grade to solve...
- Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.
- Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way...
- Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators, e.g., by...
- Interpret a fraction as division of the numerator by the denominator (a/b = a / b). Solve word problems involving division of whole numbers leading...
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction or whole number by a fraction.
- Interpret multiplication as scaling (resizing), by:
- Solve real world problems involving multiplication of fractions and mixed numbers, e.g., by using visual fraction models or equations to represent...
- Apply and extend previous understandings of division to divide unit fractions by whole numbers and whole numbers by unit fractions.1
- GLE 0506.2.4
- Develop fluency with addition and subtraction of proper and improper fractions and mixed numbers; explain and model the algorithm.
- GLE 0506.5.1
- Make, record, display and interpret data and graphs that include whole numbers, decimals, and fractions.
- SPI 0506.2.8
- Write terminating decimals in the form of fractions or mixed numbers.
- Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit (1/2, 1/4, 1/8). Use operations on fractions for this grade to solve problems...
- Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers (up to three-digit by four-digit factors) using appropriate strategies and algorithms.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction by a whole number or a fraction by a fraction.
- Solve real-world problems involving multiplication of fractions and mixed numbers by using visual fraction models or equations to represent the problem.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of division to divide unit fractions by whole numbers and whole numbers by unit fractions.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
eduToolbox® is a resource-sharing portal developed by the Ayers Institute for Learning & Innovation with collaborative support and funding from the Tennessee Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Education's Math & Science Partnership program.