University of Wisconsin developed Fast Plants for use in the educational classroom setting. These plants germinate and fruit within about 30 days. The website provides activites that can be used with the seeds and background knowledge concerning the life cycle of the plant. There are also videos of the growing plants and the scientist who helped create them. To purchase these seeds, there is a link to two science supply catalogs. The average price is $32 for 250 seeds. The activities on the website could be modified to use with other varieties of seeds.
Weblink address (URL):
Standards & Objectives
- Tell and write time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes. Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of time...
- Measure and estimate liquid volumes and masses of objects using standard units of grams (g), kilograms (kg), and liters (l).1 Add, subtract,...
- Recognize area as an attribute of plane figures and understand concepts of area measurement.
- Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units including km, m, cm; kg, g; lb, oz.; l, ml; hr, min, sec. Within a single...
- Use the four operations to solve word problems involving distances, intervals of time, liquid volumes, masses of objects, and money, including...
- GLE 0306.4.5
- Solve measurement problems involving fractional parts of linear units and capacity units.
- GLE 0406.2.6
- Solve problems involving whole numbers, fractions, and/or decimals using all four arithmetic operations.
- GLE 0406.4.2
- Understand and use measures of length, area, capacity, and weight.
- GLE 0406.4.3
- Solve problems that involve estimating and measuring length, area, capacity and weight.
- GLE 0407.4.1
- Recognize the relationship between reproduction and the continuation of a species.
- SPI 0306.1.2
- Solve problems involving elapsed time.
- SPI 0306.4.5
- Choose reasonable units of measure, estimate common measurements using benchmarks, and use appropriate tools to make measurements.
- SPI 0406.2.10
- Solve contextual problems using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- SPI 0406.4.7
- Determine appropriate size of unit of measurement in problem situations involving length, capacity or weight.
- SPI 0406.4.8
- Convert measurements within a single system that are common in daily life (e.g., hours and minutes, inches and feet, centimeters and meters, quarts and gallons,...
- Tell and write time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes. Solve contextual problems involving addition and subtraction of time...
- Measure the mass of objects and liquid volume using standard units of grams (g), kilograms (kg), milliliters (ml), and liters (l). Estimate the mass of ...
- Recognize that plane figures have an area and understand concepts of area measurement.
- Measure and estimate to determine relative sizes of measurement units within a single system of measurement involving length, liquid volume, and mass/weight...
- Solve one- or two-step real-world problems involving whole number measurements with all four operations within a single system of measurement including...
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
Blooms taxonomy level:
eduToolbox® is a resource-sharing portal developed by the Ayers Institute for Learning & Innovation with collaborative support and funding from the Tennessee Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Education's Math & Science Partnership program.