Reference Source PowerPoint
This is a PowerPoint presentation that introduces students to the following reference sources: dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia, atlas. It includes a definition, a graphic example, and a link to an online example of each source.
This presentation is a great way to introduce students to reference sources. The links to online sources provide an interactive component and the possibility for extension activities.
- Use text features and search tools (e.g., key words, sidebars, hyperlinks) to locate information relevant to a given topic efficiently.
- Use information gained from illustrations (e.g., maps, photographs) and the words in a text to demonstrate understanding of the text (e.g., where,...
- Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
- Recall information from experiences or gather information from print and digital sources; take brief notes on sources and sort evidence into provided...
- GLE 0301.4.2
- Gather information from a variety of sources to support a research topic.
- GLE 0301.4.3
- Present research results in a written report.
- SPI 0301.6.4
- Locate information using available text features (e.g., charts, maps, graphics).
- Use information gained from illustrations and the words in a text to demonstrate understanding of a text.
- Explain how illustrations in a text contribute to what is conveyed by the words.
- Conduct short research projects that build general knowledge about a topic.
- Recall information from experiences or gather information from print and digital sources, with support; take brief notes on sources and sort evidence into...
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.